IADC CODE IDENTIFICATION:
Ⅰ. First Digit: 1, 2, and 3 designate STEEL TOOTH BITS with 1 for soft, 2 for medium and 3 for hard formations. 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 designate TUNGSTEN CARBIDE INSERT BITS for varying formation hardness with 4 being the softest and 8 the hardest.
Ⅱ.Second Digit: 1, 2, 3 and 4 are further breakdown of formation with 1 being the softest and 4 the hardest.
Ⅲ.Third Digit: This digit will classify the bit according to bearing/seal type and special gauge wear protection as follows:
1. Standard open bearing roller bit
2. Standard open bearing roller bit, air-cooled
3. Standard open bearing roller bit with gauge protection which is defined as carbide inserts in the heel of the cone
4. Sealed roller bearing bit
5. Sealed roller bearing bit with gauge protection
6. Journal sealed bearing bit
7. Journal sealed bearing bit with gauge protection